Professor John Bennet
British School at Athens
52 Souedias Street
+30 211 1022 801
My research focuses on the archaeology of complex societies (particularly the Minoan and Mycenaean cultures of the Bronze Age Aegean), the archaeology and history of Crete, early writing and administrative systems (especially Linear B), and on the Venetian and Ottoman periods in Greece, often explicitly integrating material and textual evidence. My further interest in diachronic regional studies has been developed through fieldwork in Crete (Knossos; Phaistos region; Chania region), mainland Greece (Pylos region) and the islands (Keos; Kythera).
As Director, I co-edit the BSA Annual and compile the annual Archaeology in Greece bulletin for Archaeological Reports. I am available to advise current and prospective postgraduate students.
I have taught in the Universities of Cambridge, Wisconsin–Madison and Oxford and also currently hold a Chair in Aegean Archaeology at the University of Sheffield.
- J.L. Davis and J. Bennet (eds). 2017. The Pylos Regional Archaeological Project: A Retrospective (Princeton, NJ: American School of Classical Studies at Athens)
- Y. Galanakis, T.C. Wilkinson and J. Bennet (eds) 2014. ΑΘΥΡΜΑΤΑ: Critical Essays on the Archaeology of the Eastern Mediterranean in Honour of E. Susan Sherratt. Oxford: Archaeopress.
- T. Wilkinson, S. Sherratt and J. Bennet (eds) 2011. Interweaving Worlds: Systemic Interactions in Eurasia, 7th to 1st Millennia BC. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- J. Baines, J. Bennet and S.D. Houston (eds) 2008. The Disappearance of Writing Systems Perspectives on Literacy and Communication. London: Equinox.
- F. Zarinebaf, J. Bennet and J.L. Davis. 2005. A Historical and Economic Geography of Ottoman Greece: The Southwestern Morea in the Early 18th Century. Hesperia Supplement 34. Princeton, NJ: American School of Classical Studies at Athens.
- J. Bennet and J.M. Driessen (eds) 2002. A-NA-QO-TA: Studies Presented to J.T. Killen (= Minos 33–34 [1998-1999]). Salamanca: University of Salamanca Press.
- J. Bennet. 2017. On Comparison in Linear B: Genetic, Historical or Analogical? In M.-L. Nosch & H. Landenius-Enegren (eds) Aegean Scripts: 14th International Congress, Copenhagen, 2-5 September 2015 (Rome: Incunabula Graeca) 461-73.
- J. Bennet. 2017. Gelb and Gell in the Aegean: Thoughts on the Relations between ‘Writing’ and ‘Art’. In A.R. Knodell & T.P. Leppard (eds) Regional Approaches to Society and Complexity: Studies in Honour of John F. Cherry (Sheffield: Equinox) 59-74.
- J. Bennet. 2017. Final Reflections. In A.M. Jasink, J. Weingarten and S. Ferrara (eds), Non-Scribal Communication Media in the Bronze Age Aegean and Surrounding Areas (Florence: Firenze University Press) 248-53.
- J. Bennet. 2017. Reading Between the Lines: The Worlds of Linear B. In Y. Galanakis, A. Christofilopoulou and J. Grime (eds), Codebreakers and Groundbreakers (Cambridge: Fitzwilliam Museum) 28-42.
- J. Bennet. 2017. Palaces and Their Regions: Geographical Analysis of Territorial Exploitation in Late Bronze Age Crete and Greece. In P. Carlier†, F. Joannès, F. Rougemont, J. Zurbach (eds), Palatial Economy in the Ancient Near East and in the Aegean. First steps towards a comprehensive study and analysis. Acts of the ESF Exploratory Workshop held in Sèvres, 16-19 Sept. 2010 (Rome: Biblioteca di Pasiphae) 151-73.
- J. Bennet. 2015. Telltale Depictions: A Contextual View of Mycenaean Wall-Paintings. In H. Brecoulaki, J.L. Davis & S.R. Stocker (eds), Mycenaean Wall Painting in Context: New Discoveries, Old Finds Reconsidered (Athens: KERA / ASCSA) 21-34.
- J. Bennet. 2014. 'Literacies' - 60+ years of 'reading' the Aegean Late Bronze Age, BICS 57-2, 127-37.
- T. Pape, P. Halstead, J. Bennet and Y. Stangidis. 2014. “For it is written”: an experimental approach to the materiality and temporality of clay documents inscribed in Linear B. In Y. Galanakis, T.C. Wilkinson and J. Bennet (eds), ΑΘΥΡΜΑΤΑ: Critical Essays on the Archaeology of the Eastern Mediterranean in Honour of E. Susan Sherratt (Oxford: Archaeopress) 177-85.
- J. Bennet and P. Halstead. 2014. O-no! Writing and Righting Redistribution. In D. Nakassis, J. Gulizio & S.A. James (eds), KE-RA-ME-JA: Studies Presented to Cynthia Shelmerdine (Philadelphia, PA: INSTAP Academic Press) 271-82.
- J. Bennet. 2014. Linear B and Homer. In Y. Duhoux & A. Morpurgo Davies (eds), A Companion to Linear B: Mycenaean Greek Texts and their World, vol. 3 (Leuven: Peeters) 187-233.
- J. Bennet. 2013. Epilogue. In Kathryn E. Piquette and Ruth D. Whitehouse (eds), Writing as Material Practice: Substance, surface and medium (London: Ubiquity Press), 335-42. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5334/bai.q
- J. Bennet. 2013. Minoan Crete: a world of objects, a world of places. In Galanakis, Y. (ed.). The Aegean World. A Companion Guide to the Cycladic, Minoan and Mycenaean Collections in the Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford (Oxford / Athens: Ashmolean Museum / Kapon Editions) 102-117.
- J. Bennet. 2013. Bronze Age Greece. In P. Bang & W. Scheidel (eds), The Oxford Handbook of the State in the Ancient Near East and Mediterranean (Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press) 235-58.
- J. Bennet. 2011. The Geography of the Mycenaean Kingdoms. In Y. Duhoux & A. Morpurgo Davies (eds), A Companion to Linear B: Mycenaean Greek Texts and their World, vol. 2 (Leuven: Peeters) 137-68.
- C.W. Shelmerdine and J. Bennet. 2008. Mycenaean States: A. Economy & Administration. In C.W. Shelmerdine (ed.), Cambridge Companion to the Aegean Bronze Age (New York: Cambridge University Press) 289-309.
- J. Bennet. 2008. ‘Now you see it; now you don’t!’: the disappearance of the Linear A script on Crete. In J. Baines, S. Houston, & J. Bennet (eds), The Disappearance of Writing Systems (London: Equinox) 1-29.
- J. Bennet. 2007. The Aegean Bronze Age. In I. Morris, R. Saller and W. Scheidel (eds), The Cambridge Economic History of the Greco-Roman World (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) 175-210.
- J. Bennet. 2007. Representations of Power in Mycenaean Pylos: Script, Orality, Iconography. In F. Lang, C. Reinholdt & J. Weilhartner (eds), ΣΤΕΦΑΝΟΣ ΑΡΙΣΤΕΙΟΣ. Archäologische Forschungen zwischen Nil und Istros. Festschrift für Stefan Hiller zum 65. Geburtstag (Vienna: Phoibos Verlag) 11-22.