Athens: arrival information
Arrival at the School:
If arriving at the School between 09.00 and 16.00 Monday to Friday, please ring the bell on the lower gate at 53 Ioannou Patera Street (continuation of Alopekis Street), immediately behind the Evangelismos Hospital. Outside of these hours please identify yourself to the security guards at the upper side of the compound at the American School gate (54 Souedias Street, on the corner of Souedias and Gennadion). You must inform the administration of the British School of your expected time of arrival so that the guards can be informed and so that a Hostel resident can be available to let you into the building (not after 23.00).
Arrival from the Airport:
Athens airport Eleftherios Venizelos (http://www.aia.gr) is situated to the north-east of the city and the journey time by bus, taxi, or Metro is approximately 40 minutes. There are three options of arriving at the School:
1. There is a regular Metro service from the airport (blue line) from 06.30 am until 23.30 pm. Be careful not to take the Proastiakos train (suburban railway). The ticket costs €10.00 one way, with reductions for more than 1 traveller. Tickets must be validated before getting onto the trains. The Metro runs directly to the Evangelismos Station, just below the School. From the station, walk up the hill along Marasli Street and then turn right two streets up along Ioannou Patera Street.
2. There is a regular 24-hour bus service from the airport to Syntagma Square (X95). The tickets, available at the bus stop, cost €6 one way. There is a bus stop at Evangelismos just past the Hilton Hotel and the School is a 5-minute walk up Marasli Street and then right along Ioannou Patera Street.
3. Taxis are also available at the airport. Ask for „Kolonaki‟ (the area) and then „Evangelismos‟ (the hospital). Ask to be taken at No 53 Ioannou Patera Street or No 54 Souedias Street depending on the time and date of your arrival (check „Arrival at the School‟). There is now a flat fare of €35 (05.00-24.00) and €50 (24.00-05.00), with no additions for baggage.
Accomodation and facilities
Accommodation is available in single or shared rooms, according to availability. Costs include access to all facilities of the School, including 24 hour access to the Library. A tennis court is shared with the American School. There are self-catering and laundry facilities available to residents.
When corresponding with the School, it is worth bearing in mind that while the Greek postal service delivers most post from Europe within one week, overseas mail and mail sent at peak periods can take several weeks. Urgent correspondence should therefore be faxed or e-mailed as well as posted.
N.B. The School session runs from late September to mid-August each year, but dates should be checked as they vary slightly annually. During the closure the offices will continue to deal with urgent matters (permits, accommodation booking etc.), but access is by appointment only. Members are not allowed to use the facilities during this time.
1. Insurance: Residents must have full health insurance. Residents’ belongings are left on the premises at their own risk.
2. Electricity: The electricity supply in Greece is potentially more prone to variations than that in the UK. Those members intending to bring out sensitive electrical equipment such as a computer are advised to bring a surge suppresser. Adapters for British plugs are available in Athens, but it is usually more convenient to purchase them in the UK.
3. Telephone: A cardphone is available for use of members (situated next to the library office). Cards may be purchased from most kiosks “periptero” and some small shops. The Hostel number is (+30) 210 724 5951.
4. Post: Post sent to the School for residents and members will be put in the pigeon-holes outside the Front Office. Please note that mail not collected within one month will be redirected and therefore will take some time to catch up with you.
5. Kitchen: Kitchen area is to be used by residents only. Non-resident members may leave packed meals in the refrigerators in the dining room and use the microwave if needed (please check notices in kitchen area and dining room).
British School at Athens Office +(30) 211 102 2800
52, Souedias Street Fax +(30) 211 102 2803
GR 106 76 Athens E-mail: email@example.com