Greek epigraphy, ancient athletics, ancient gymnasium and education, the political culture of the Greek city.
Most of my research focuses on styles of athletic self-representation in inscriptions of the Hellenistic and Imperial periods. Specifically, my doctoral thesis and my publications on epigrams (forthcoming) and agonistic inscriptions (2021) explore how different kinds of inscriptions portrayed honorees in different ways, depending on the sociopolitical context.
My new project, ‘Athletics and Paideia’ explores the role of monuments in preserving, negotiating, and distributing knowledge about Hellenic culture and civic education. Part of this project is my contribution to an edited volume (Mouratidis forthcoming, to be published by Franz Steiner Verlag in autumn 2023) that explores Money and Honour in athletics, as well as my contribution to the Paideia and Performance volume (Reid and Mouratidis forthcoming, to be published by Parnassos Press in 2023).
As part of my wider interest in Greek epigraphy, I also occasionally help with the ‘Attic Inscriptions Online’ project, and occasionally I publish on other topics of Greek epigraphy (e.g., Mouratidis G.E. 2018)
- Mouratidis G.E. 2021. ‘Athletes, Citizenships, and Hellenic Identity during the Imperial Period’, Klio 103.2, 675-703.
Reid H.L. and Mouratidis G.E. 2020. ‘Naked Virtue: Ancient Athletic Nudity and the Olympic Ethos of Aretē’, Olympika 29, 29-55.
- Mouratidis G.E. 2018. ‘The political vocabulary of the imperial-period Greek elite; some notes on the title ἀξιολογώτατος’, Arctos 52, 119-135.
- Mouratidis G.E. (forthcoming). ‘Athletes, identity, and inscriptions during the Late Hellenistic and Imperial periods: the case of epigrams’, in Bianco M.M. –Cusumano N. –Melidone C. – Rallo G.E. (eds.), Memoria, spazio, identita, in Grecia e a Roma.
- Mouratidis G.E. (forthcoming). ‘Honour and athletics in the Hellenistic polis’, in Mann C. – Begass C. (eds.), Money and Honour in Ancient Athletics, to be publish by Franz Steiner Verlag.
Reid, H.L. and Mouratidis, G.E. (forthcoming). ‘From Euexia to Eupraxia: Gymnastic Education and Moral Performance’, in: “Paideia and Performance”: the educational function of theatrical, rhetorical, athletic, and musical performance, to be publish by Parnassos Press.
- Mouratidis G.E. (forthcoming). ‘“…obtained by sweat and labour his glorious reputation”. Ponos and the educational value of pain in the Greek gymnasium’, in: Matthew Evans (ed.), The Sense(s) of Athletics in the Ancient Mediterranean World.
- Mouratidis G.E. 2021. ‘Stewart E., Harris E., Lewis D. (eds.), Skilled Labour and Professionalism in Ancient Greece and Rome (Review)’, The Classical Review 71.1, 138-141.
- Mouratidis G.E. 2020. ‘Papakonstantinou Z., Sport and Identity in Ancient Greece (Review)’, The Classical Review, 70.1, 163-165.
- Reid, H.L. and Mouratidis G.E. (forthcoming). ‘Early Greek and Roman examinations of sport’, in Routledge Encyclopedia of Sport Studies.
Publications without peer-review
- Μουρατίδης Γ. 2016. Η Γέννηση των Ολυμπιακών Αθλημάτων, RasterOne, Thessaloniki.
- Μουρατίδης Γ. Ιούνιος 2016. ‘Η Πολιορκία της Κωνσταντινούπολης το 1453’, Στρατιωτική Ιστορία 233, 10-21 .
- Μουρατίδης Γ. Φεβρουάριος 2015. ᾽Οι μισθοφόροι της Ελληνιστικής περιόδου 323-31π.Χ.’, Στρατιωτική Ιστορία 217, 62-69.