In order to use our services and facilities it is necessary to become a Regular Member of the BSA. The application process and benefits are outlined below. Please note that at present we require all members intending to use our facilities in Athens or at Knossos to have been vaccinated against covid-19.
To become a Member of the BSA, you must be pursuing studies in any discipline related to the Hellenic world at graduate level or above. Members include current School award holders, staff and postgraduate students from institutions of higher education, museums and other such bodies, and schoolteachers in the British Isles, the Commonwealth, and other countries of the European Union. The Director may approve applications from bona fide independent writers, artists and researchers, and in exceptional cases from undergraduate students where particular need can be demonstrated.
Only Members may use the BSA’s accommodation and support services in Athens and Knossos. Membership entitles you to:
- Use of the library on a 24-hour basis;
- VPN off-site access to library resources and databases;
- Book accommodation in the BSA;
- Use of the Finlay Common Room and its facilities;
- Apply for permits from the Greek Archaeological Service;
- A free entry pass for all museums and sites in Greece;
- Apply for awards restricted to Members (listed under Funding);
- Low-cost photocopying and free scanning.
Participants in fieldwork or study projects sponsored by the BSA who are not already Regular Members are required to apply for Associate Membership through their project director. Associate Membership is only available under circumstances such as these and offers minimal benefits. Associate Members who wish to use the BSA for their own research will be required to become Regular Members.
Regular Members also play a role in the BSA’s governance. Members in the current and previous academic year may attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting, and Members in the current academic year elect 2 members of Council.
To apply for Membership of the BSA, complete and submit the application form below.
|Full Members||Per Month*||Per 5 months||Annual||Sporadic**|
* A student rate for one month of membership is offered at the discount price of £25. A student is defined as an individual who is currently enrolled in a course of study (at any level) or an individual who has graduated from a course of study within the past twelve months and is currently unwaged.
**Sporadic: occasional use of the BSA (maximum 90 days per session) for those resident in Greece outside Athens (offered at the discretion of the Director).
There is a refundable key deposit for non-resident members.
Participants in excavations, surveys, and study projects sponsored by the BSA: £20 flat rate fee. These members are entitled to use the Hostel (Athens or Knossos) for 3 days on either side of the project (accommodation charges apply as for full members). Outside this time standard membership fee applies.
These fees are payable in advance and are non-refundable.