The British School at Athens is very happy to host annually a Library/Archive intern.
We are seeking an organised and highly-motivated graduate of a UK HEI to provide support for library services and the digitisation of our corporate and collections data. This position is full time October – July, working 0.5 FTE with the Senior Librarian to assist in the smooth running of the library, and 0.5 FTE with the Archivist to curate data in the BSA’s linked databases.
This internship will be paid at the living wage rate for Greece.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the smooth running of the library, including providing reader services, handling enquiries, and shelving.
- To assist with classifying new books, and adding relevant data to the catalogue database.
- To support collection processing in the archives, including producing inventory lists, cataloguing, creating finding-aids and undertaking in-house preservation of materials.
- To convert analogue finding aids into digital ones, and to migrate and curate data in line with ISAD (G) standards in Collection Management Software, EMu (Electronic Museum Management System-Axiell ALM).
- To organise and deliver selected items for digitisation, scanning in-house where appropriate.
- To contribute towards the promotion of BSA collections, helping to produce blogposts and exhibitions drawing on BSA material.
The successful candidate will have graduated from a UK HEI with at least an undergraduate degree in a subject concerned with the mission statement of the BSA. They will be highly motivated and enthusiastic with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, the ability to work independently and in teams, and they will have an interest in the scholarly work conducted and facilitated by the BSA.
This position would be ideal for a graduate seeking practical experience working in libraries and archives (e.g. as a prerequisite in applying for a postgraduate library/archive training course), or for a graduate with a strong interest in Greek cultural heritage looking for some hands-on experience -based in Athens- before pursuing further academic study.
Applications for the 2021-2022 internship are currently open.
Applications should be sent by email as a signed pdf attachment to the School Administrator, Mrs Tania Gerousi (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday 9th July.
Applicants should supply the following: –
- A one-page covering letter, giving the applicant’s contact details, outlining the reasons for applying, giving details of supporting enclosures, and summarising the applicant’s principal qualifications for the job;
- A curriculum vitae, giving details of past employment, academic and other qualifications, and other relevant experience;
- The name, address, telephone number and email address of one referee, whom the candidate has contacted in advance and who has agreed to supply a letter of reference sent directly to email@example.com by the closing date.
The closing date for applications is Friday 9th July. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by teleconferencing on Wednesday 21st July.
For any further questions please contact Michael Loy on firstname.lastname@example.org