The British School at Athens is very happy to host annually a Library/Archive intern.
The application period is currently not open. Please see below an indicative job specification based on the 2022-2023 call.
We are seeking an organised and highly-motivated graduate of a UK HEI to provide support for library services and the digitisation of our corporate and collections data. This position is full time October – July, working 0.5 FTE with the Senior Librarian to assist in the smooth running of the library, and 0.5 FTE with the Archivist to curate data in the BSA’s linked databases.
This internship will be paid at the living wage rate for Greece.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the smooth running of the library, including providing reader services, handling enquiries, and preparing material for the shelves.
- To assist with classifying new books, and adding relevant data to the catalogue database.
- To assist in a variety of archive tasks including inventorying and cataloguing collections to ISAD (G) standards; rehousing and in-house conservation of archival materials; organising items for digitisation or scanning in-house where appropriate.
- To migrate and curate digital catalogue information to the Collection Management Software, EMu (Electronic Museum Management System-Axiell ALM).
- To contribute towards the promotion of BSA collections, helping to produce blogposts and exhibitions drawing on BSA material.
The successful candidate will have graduated from a UK HEI with at least an undergraduate degree in a subject concerned with the mission statement of the BSA. Candidates should be fluent in English and able to or willing to learn how to transcribe Greek and other languages of scholarship. They will be highly motivated and enthusiastic with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, the ability to work independently and in teams, and they will have an interest in the scholarly work conducted and facilitated by the BSA. They will also be able to demonstrate how taking up this position is part of a longer-term career plan. Previous digitisation experience is desirable but not essential.
This position would be ideal for a graduate seeking practical experience working in libraries and archives (e.g. as a prerequisite in applying for a postgraduate library/archive training course), or for a graduate with a strong interest in Greek cultural heritage looking for some hands-on experience -based in Athens- before pursuing further academic study.
Details on applying for the 2023-2024 internship will appear on this page in due course.