Job Vacancy: Librarian
The British School at Athens (BSA), an institute for advanced research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, seeks a full-time Librarian to take full responsibility for the development and operation of an academic research library serving post graduate research on the Hellenic world. This position is both managerial and administrative, focusing on positive interaction with the library’s users.
• Is responsible for planning and coordinating activities related to the Library’s operation.
• Has primary responsibility for all library services, resources and staff in Athens and at Knossos.
• Integrates Library services with the BSA’s mission, strategic plan, and objectives.
• Works collaboratively with other Library staff to deliver a professional quality library service to the members of the BSA and the wider academic community in Greece.
• Plans for the future direction of the Library with an emphasis on the development of digital assets.
• Works collaboratively with the Development Officer and senior colleagues to facilitate the BSA’s broader fundraising initiatives.
You will have a postgraduate degree or Diploma in Library Science or Information Studies accredited by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP), or the American Library Association (ALA), or equivalent, and an undergraduate degree in a relevant field. You will be English-speaking with some knowledge of, or willingness to learn Modern Greek. You will be expected to live and work in Athens.
The salary will be up to € 36,000 with health insurance. The position is available from 1st May 2020. A probationary period will apply.
Informal enquiries about the post may be addressed to the BSA Director, Professor John Bennet (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The closing date for applications is 3 January 2020. Interviews will be held in Athens on 29 January 2020.
Applications should be sent as an email attachment to the BSA at email@example.com by 3 January 2020.
Applicants are asked to supply the following:-
- A covering letter (of no more than two pages), containing the applicant’s contact details, outlining their reasons for applying, giving details of supporting enclosures, and summarising the applicant’s principal qualifications for the job;
- A curriculum vitae, giving details of past employment, academic and other qualifications, language skills, and other relevant experience;
- The names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of two academic referees, whom the candidate has contacted in advance and who have agreed to supply letters of reference which they will send to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.