Applications are invited from university graduates of Greek or Cypriot nationality for awards to cover the expenses of a stay in the United Kingdom of short duration for a specific project of study or research in any field in which the British School is active. This comprises all areas of Hellenic studies, including Greek and Cypriot archaeology, art, history, language, literature, religion, philosophy, ethnography, anthropology, geography and all branches of archaeological science. The project must be clearly defined. It must be a project which would be greatly enhanced from access to material in libraries, archives, museums or universities and from scholarship which is to be found in the UK but not in Greece or Cyprus.
Awards are not normally offered to those carrying out or intending to qualify for post-graduate study in the UK. They are not normally awarded to those carrying out full-time postgraduate study in Greece. A well-defined project may, however, justify an exception.
The award will be no less than ₤1,000 per month plus the cost of a return air fare not to exceed £300. Preference will normally be given to applicants at an early stage in their career. Preference may be given to those who do not have extensive experience of study in the UK.
The School expects to offer around three awards: no award will exceed three months. Award recipients should preferably be attached for the period of their award to a British university, museum or other appropriate institution. An advisor may be appointed. On their return from the UK recipients are expected to submit a written report to the BSA on their work as holders or the award. Applications from previous bursary holders will not normally be considered within 5 years of the previous award.
Before applying for an award, applicants must make at least preliminary contact with the British institution(s) where they intend to work and the scholar(s) with whom they would like to study.
Applications must be written in English and sent to meet the deadline by e-mail to the School Administrator at email@example.com
The following information should be included:
- A Curriculum Vitae, including record of publications, if any.
- A statement in no more than 500 words of the research or study proposed, which must include specific reasons for studying in the UK and the proposed period and place of study.
- The names and addresses of two referees who have agreed to provide confidential academic references. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their references are received by the School no later than 14th January 2022.
- Address and phone number of applicant.
- Applications and references must be sent by Friday 14th January 2022 to the School Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).